It is no secret that people replace heat radiator in Peugeot, as well as in other car models, in the cold season to heat and dry the car.
There is no sense in detecting malfunctions in the radiator on your own, as it is obviously connected with a lack of heat in the compartment. Moreover, you can understand that the part is defective by just putting your hand in front of the air deflector (that supplies warm air). If you feel faintly warm or even cold air, the radiator is faulty:
- first, open the hood of the car,
- check the level of cooling water; if there is not antifreeze, it does not enter the heat radiator, so you need to test it for leakages,
- if this level is normal, it is necessary to examine the radiator hoses and to check if they are hot,
- if all of the above is fine, the heat radiator is most likely to be clogged with various sediments and oxides, so it needs to be replaced.
You should replace the heat radiator in a warm room, as kneeling in front of the car in freezing weather brings no satisfaction. However, the good news is that you do not need to remove the cowl, as the part is replaced on the driver side near the accelerator pedal.
To replace the heat radiator, you need the following tools:
- T20 screwdriver
- flat screwdriver
- tray for antifreeze
- optional pipe for cooling liquid outlet or atomized pneumatic pumping
- spanner with 5.5 head or socket head
- bent pliers
- 1 l of antifreeze of the same color as the antifreeze in your expansion tank
Removing Heat Radiator
- it is necessary to remove the side plastic plate; to do this, you need the T20 screwdriver; the screw is hidden behind the second plastic plate that is located along the tunnel; you need to bend it and to unscrew the screw.
- remove the plate that is located over all the pedals and that is easily removed.
- now you have access to the heat radiator and should unscrew four screws.
- prepare the container for antifreeze drained and pumped from the pipes.
It is necessary to open the lid of the expansion tank and close it again for excessive pressure output.
- remove clamp parks from radiator tubes.
- carefully remove the nearest and longest tube of the heat radiator and slowly pump out all the antifreeze freely flowing.
- after removing all the antifreeze remove the clamps of the shorter tube.
- unscrew the screw from the clamp of the plastic mount of two tubes located near the accelerator pedal.
- bend the tubes to the sides and remove the heat radiator.
- install the new radiator and assembly it in the reverse order.
Be very attentive to what antifreeze you use to operate your car, as this is very important for the interior radiator. It is not recommended to mix different types of cooling liquid, otherwise, when mixing they can make bubbles and leave sediments on the inner walls of the heat radiator, as well as on the entire cooling system, including the main radiator located under the hood.
After replacing the heat radiator you need to upgrade the cooling system.
- fill cooling liquid into the expansion tank to the level
- unscrew the air valve located on a rubber radiator pipe under the hood near the wall between the compartment and the engine box
- after releasing air of the system close the lid of the expansion tank
- step into your beloved Peugeot car and start it
- set the heater to the maximum temperature
- press the accelerator pedal to almost 3 thousand revs
- warm up the car, and you will feel with your hands how the air near the deflector is heated
- if the air is not heated enough, increase the rep range for the pump releasing the air out of the heat radiator
- when the radiator starts supplying hot air, check the antifreeze level in the expansion tank
Peugeot cars are very popular with many people around the world. The first reason is that such cars are notable for their security, beautiful design and functionality. However, owners of Peugeot face the necessity of servicing the car. It does not prove that these cars are insecure. The point is that the planned maintenance and service of the car are necessary due to the improper operation of the car. One of the common procedures is the replacement of the Peugeot radiator. It should be also noted that you can do this with your own hands, but you need to understand the technical complexity of the vehicle.